What's on The Zone @ 91-3 ::



MONKEY WRENCH @ Darcys @ Darcy's Pub
Hang The DJ @ Lucky Bar

Mother, daughter escape View Royal grease fire with minor injuries

Jan 23 2012

A mother and her young daughter were lucky to escape a fire Sunday evening with minor injuries after a kitchen fire burned in their second-floor suite in View Royal, firefighters said.

It was a grease fire exacerbated by an attempt to put it out with water, firefighters reported.

Twenty-one View Royal and Colwood firefighters responded with three engines, a ladder and a rescue unit upon receiving a report of a house on fire with occupants inside on the 200 block of Helmcken Road at 6:30 p.m.

When crews arrived, they found the fire raging on the second-floor suite of a single-family house, Paul M. Hurst, fire chief and director of emergency management for View Royal Fire Rescue, said in a statement.

Hurst said the occupants, “wearing nothing but nightclothes and no shoes,” were standing on the street outside.

The fire began, Hurst reported, when an unattended pot on the stove ignited. Things got much worse when one of the occupants tried to extinguish the grease fire with water — causing an explosion.

“This is a reminder: Never use water to extinguish a grease fire,” Hurst said. “Contact your local fire department on advice for grease fires.”

The mother and daughter were transported to Victoria General Hospital with unknown injuries. View Royal/Colwood Emergency Support Services attended to provide lodging for the owner and tenants until the insurance company can be contacted, Hurst said.

None of the firefighters was injured.

We thought you might also be interested in..