What's on The Zone @ 91-3 ::

Link

Login

Modern Saturdays @ Upstairs Cabaret
MONKEY WRENCH @ Darcys @ Darcy's Pub
SOLID with DJs Jay Something and Mod Marty @ Lucky Bar

Another windstorm, another morning without power

Jan 26 2012

Residents of Greater Victoria are waking up to a second day of lost power this morning.

Another windstorm hit the region Thursday overnight with wind gusts up to 90 km/h causing power outages across the region.

At its peak this morning there were about 5,000 homes in the West Shore without electricity. By 8:17 a.m. that number was down just over 600 customers without power due to windstorms in Central Saanich, Colwood, Duncan and Esquimalt.

B.C. Hydro expects the power will be restored by 1 p.m. Thursday afternoon.

Also related to stormy weather, Hans Helgesen Elementary School will be closed for the day. The school is asking parents to check with the school district for updates. Lighthouse Christian Academy had reported earlier that it would be closed for the day, but power has been restored and the school is now open.

Earlier this morning there was a motor vehicle crash on West Saanich Road going toward Prospect Lake involving icy roads. Saanich Police requested the municipality salt the area, said Staff Sgt. Mark Muth.

Motorists continued to struggle with black ice on West Saanich near Interurban Road in Saanich just before 9 a.m.

The region has been pummeled by a series of windstorms since Sunday. The windstorms have been linked to at least two deaths.

Richard (Rick) Legallou, 62, was found floating in Ganges Harbour off Saltspring Island amid high seas and gusting winds on Sunday. It is not known how he ended up in the water but the police believe the wind storm played a role.

On Wednesday morning, two young Nanoose First Nations boys succumb to a fire in a relative’s house. They were sent to the nearby home because of their parents concern that a windstorm would knock trees onto their own home. Trees had already fallen on power lines, causing an electrical outage throughout the Snaw’Naw’As reserve.

At the relative’s home, a fire started about 5 a.m. and the boys perished. Candles were being used in the home but police have not yet determined the cause of the fire.

ceharnett@timescolonist.com

We thought you might also be interested in..