Saanich house fire causes $60,000 in damages
Jan 29 2012
A fire tore through the walls of a Saanich home Saturday afternoon causing an estimated $60,000 in damages.
Fire fighters had to pull away drywall in order to extinguish the blaze that had quickly spread through the home in the 700 block of Lily Avenue.
Fire fighters arrived around 2:30 p.m. to find smoke coming from the basement and the second floor.
Battalion chief Russ Ricketts said the fire started inside the walls in the basement and quickly spread to the first and second floors of the home.
“Once it gets behind the walls it a difficult thing to fight,” he said. “We have to open the walls and make sure it’s fully extinguished.
The fire is believed to be caused by someone doing plumbing work, but the investigation continues. No one was injured.