Ban on tanning-bed use by younger teens expected
Mar 20 2012
B.C. Health Minister Mike de Jong, who has hinted at a provincewide ban on people younger than 18 using indoor tanning, is to make an announcement this morning on tanning-bed regulations.
A statement issued Monday said de Jong will be joined by municipal representatives, oncologists and cancer organizations at the B.C. Cancer Agency Research Centre in Vancouver. "I assume it will be an announcement to regulate tanning-bed use by those under the age of 18," said Capital Regional District board chairman Geoff Young.
The CRD voted in favour last year of banning people younger than 18 from using the beds. The Victoria-area bylaw, which was expected to be in place by July 1, has been sitting on the health minister's desk, awaiting approval as the province grappled with the possibility of a provincewide ban.
Other health authorities, including the Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health authorities, have also been looking at similar bans.