What's on The Zone @ 91-3 ::



No known events today.

Oak Bay Lodge survey finds support for its redevelopment

Apr 11 2012

Redevelopment of Oak Bay Lodge has broad-based support throughout the community, according to a survey conducted on behalf of Baptist Housing.

About 80 per cent of Oak Bay residents support the proposal, according to a survey of 200 Oak Bay residents 18 years and over, conducted by the Mustel Group Market Research between Mar. 5 and 25.

The survey found overwhelming support to retain residential care beds in Oak Bay with 96 per cent in support of keeping residential care beds in the community.

Specific findings include:

? 49 per cent of those surveyed think there is too little residential care capacity in the community; 26 per cent think it's about right.

(Two per cent thought there was too much and 24 per cent didn't know.)

? 96 per cent are aware of the Oak Bay Lodge and its location.

? 46 per cent strongly supported the Baptist Housing replacement proposal and 34 per cent somewhat supported the proposal for a total of 80 per cent.

The strongest concerns expressed (11 per cent) were that the proposed building was too tall; seven per cent said there was a need for more parking stalls and six per cent said they needed more information.

Baptist Housing, in concert with the Vancouver Island Health Authority, is taking a second shot at getting approval to demolish the lodge at 2251 Cadboro Bay Rd. and replace it with a 320-bed, $80-million facility for Greater Victoria seniors with dementia who require complex care.

The first try stalled last November after a lengthy public hearing. In the midst of a municipal election and faced with neighbourhood concerns about issues such as traffic and building height, Oak Bay council refused to approve variances for the project.

Revised plans scaling back the majority of the building by a full floor to five storeys from six, and pushing it more to the centre of the site have been submitted. The new proposal is for a combination of five and six storeys. In the previous application, the building was closer to the property line on the north side and required a setback variance along Cadboro Bay Road.

There now would be one entrance/exit to the site off Cadboro Bay Road. A proposed exit off Cranmore Road has been eliminated.

The survey sample group was weighted to match the latest census population statistics on the basis of age and gender and has a margin of error of plus or minus 6.9 per cent at the 95 per cent confidence level.

We thought you might also be interested in..