What's on The Zone @ 91-3 ::



MONKEY WRENCH @ Darcys @ Darcy's Pub
Hang The DJ @ Lucky Bar

Saanich family displaced after apartment fire

Apr 17 2012

A family has been displaced after a fire in an apartment suite on Alder Street.

Saanich firefighters rushed to 3226 Alder St. around 8:30 a.m. after a wooden storage box against an electric heater caught fire in a child’s bedroom.

Fran Emberton rushed her two kids out of the house and called 911 while her husband tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher.

Firefighters arrived and quickly put out the fire and aired out the smoke.

Emberton said her five-year-old daughter Hailey and 18-month-old son Carter are shaken by the incident. Emberton said Carter’s clothes and some toys were destroyed.

Anyone who would like to donate clothes for 18-month-old Carter can call Emberton at 250-384-3974.

The family will have to stay elsewhere for tonight. Saanich emergency services are providing assistance.

Saanich Fire says it’s a reminder not to keep flammable items next to baseboard heaters.