Grand chief, doctor among UVic honorees
Jun 16 2012
The University of Victoria spring convocation has wrapped up with 3,358 graduates receiving degrees, diplomas and certificates.
Their achievements were marked during a series of nine ceremonies held at UVic's Farquhar Auditorium from Monday to Friday.
Honorary degrees were conferred on five people with a wide range of accomplishments:
- Grand Chief Edward John, who has worked to improve the lives of First Nations people;
- Engineer David Sanborn Scott, an influential researcher in energy and sustainability;
- Dr. Henry Shimizu, one of the first Japanese Canadians to become a medical doctor;
- Anne Wheeler, an acclaimed filmmaker;
- Jody Paterson, a journalist and social activist who spent more than 20 years with the Times Colonist.