Gas line shut off after leak closes part of McKenzie Avenue; evacuation at condo building
Oct 09 2012
A natural gas leak in Saanich Sunday night forced residents out of their homes and into the streets as emergency crews tried to turn off the damaged service line.
Saanich firefighters around 8:30 p.m. ushered people from what is believed to be a six-unit townhouse where the line was leaking, according to a spokesman for Fortis B.C.
Firefighters also warned neighbours in the 1400 block of McKenzie Avenue, near Braefoot, about the dangerous situation.
A Fortis B.C. crew arrived on the scene and repaired the line around 9:30 p.m. Spokesman Neal Pobran said damage to the line was likely caused by someone working in the area.
Saanich police and fire still had the area blocked off between Braefoot and Cedar Hill roads after 10 p.m., while crews continued to work on the scene.
With the gas line repaired, residents are expected to return to their homes, Pobran said.