Cook Street fight sends one to hospital with serious injuries; 17-year-old in custody
Jan 01 2012
A 17-year-old View Royal man is in police custody following a fight involving a weapon that sent another young man to hospital New Year’s day.
Victoria police responded to a 911 call about a fight on Cook Street near Hillside Avenue at about 12:30 a.m. Sunday.
A 23-year-old Victoria was treated by paramedics and rushed to hospital with serious internal injuries, said Victoria Cst. Mike Russell. The victim underwent surgery and is expected to recover.
Two other men, both reported to be 23 years old and friends of the victim, were also treated by paramedics for minor injuries they sustained in trying to restrain the suspect.
Victoria police have not yet released the type of weapon involved in the altercation, however, they have confirmed it was not a gun. The attack is believed at this time to be unprovoked, according to police.
It is not yet clear where the victim and the suspect had been prior to the altercation.
Victoria police were able to apprehend the suspect because of the quick and courageous actions of witnesses at the scene, Russell said. However, those men could have been seriously hurt in doing so; not something the police would want to occur.
“It’s a double-edged sword,” Russell said. “We applaud their actions, but we’d caution the public against doing that on any regular day.”
The 17-year-old suspect is scheduled for a tele-bail hearing later today.